Finally an update!

It has been a long time since I updated this blog, but now I am back at working on Winterheart. From now on I will be updating this blog once again every two weeks.

So what has been slowing me down? 

Well, when I started this project I was confident that SDL would provide me everything I needed to make a danmaku-game from scratch, however soon I ran into memory issues that prevented me from making my visions of this game true. Of course I tried my best optimizing both the code and the external files (mostly images), but that didn't help at all.

Finally I got too frustrated and started working on smaller games (e.g. Perfect Youmu) hoping that I could solve the problems by starting from clean slate. As you have noticed, that lead to nothing...

So what is different this time?

I have moved from using SDL with C# to using SFML with C++ and now things are looking really promising. For instance I have successfully programmed a test that spawns 10,000 independently rotating bullets), something I could only dream about when using SDL (I actually need only 1200 bullets, but rotating even a single bullet real-time in SDL is nearly impossible as it consumes lots of memory). All this is thanks to the fact that SFML uses hardware acceleration where as SDL uses software acceleration.

Anyway, now the memory problems are all tackled so I can finally return working on this project...

And now for something completely different... Here is the updated mainframe for Winterheart:

No comments:

Post a Comment